Skip to Main Content
Ask About Financing

Dog Poisoning Signs & What To Do

Your dog's sense of curiosity can get them into all sorts of trouble, including eating things they shouldn't. Here, our Pine Grove vets discuss the signs of poisoning in dogs, and what to do if you think your dog has been poisoned.

What To Do If You Think Your Dog Has Been Poisoned

Stay calm and make sure the source of the poison is out of your dog’s reach. Then get your dog to the vet as soon as possible. Contact the vet before heading out to let them know you are on your way. That way they will be ready to see you when you arrive.

How Can I Tell If My Dog Has Been Poisoned?

It can be difficult to tell if your dog has been poisoned, however, below is a list of some of the most common first signs of a dog being poisoned. If your dog is showing any of these symptoms contact your vet right away, or visit your nearest animal emergency hospital.

  • Agitation
  • Tremors
  • Convulsions
  • Nausea and/or vomiting
  • Seizures
  • Heart problems
  • Diarrhea
  • Kidney failure
  • Excessive bruising or bleeding
  • Nosebleeds
  • Unsteady on feet
  • Abnormal heartbeat
  • Drooling
  • Oral irritation
  • Pale gums
  • Inability to urinate

Common Toxins That Dogs Accidentally Ingest

Most of the poisoning cases our Pine Grove veterinarians see are the result of dogs getting into substances around the house that are not good for them. Certain foods, medications, or household substances that are safe for humans can be dangerous if ingested by a dog.

The following substances are the most common dog poisons we see at Pine Grove Animal Clinic.


Over-the-counter medications like Tylenol, ibuprofen, Advil, and Aleve, as well as herbal and nutraceutical products, can be poisonous to dogs. Prescription medications that are beneficial to humans can also be highly poisonous when ingested by dogs.

Human Food

Animals have different metabolisms than people. Some foods, such as chocolate, onions, and garlic, are perfectly safe for people but dangerous, and sometimes fatal, for dogs.

Veterinary Products

Medications like painkillers, dewormers, and flea/tick treatments can be poisonous to dogs if consumed or used incorrectly.

Household Products

Household cleaning products are a leading cause of pet poisoning, resulting in stomach and respiratory tract problems. Chemicals in antifreeze, paint thinner, and chemicals for pools also can act as dog poison.

Rodenticides & Insecticides

Rat poison and insecticides can be as dangerous for your dog as the creatures they are intended for.


Some of the more toxic plants to dogs include azaleas, rhododendrons, tulips, daffodils, and sago palms. 

Lawn & Garden Products

Products for your lawn and garden may be poisonous to pets that ingest them.

Note: The advice provided in this post is intended for informational purposes and does not constitute medical advice regarding pets. For an accurate diagnosis of your pet's condition, please make an appointment with your vet.

If you think your dog may have been poisoned, immediate veterinary care is essential. Contact our experienced Pine Grove vets right away.

New Patients Welcome

Pine Grove Animal Clinic is accepting new patients! Our experienced vets are passionate about the health of companion animals. Get in touch today to book your pet's first appointment.

Contact Us

(570) 345-0880